We had decided to camp the third night. When we woke up the sky was cloudy and grey and we got a few sprinkles. I started to detect a little worry from my compadres about our choice of accommodations for our last night in San Felipe. I tried to counter that with non-worry, figuring no need to change our plans until necessary. As it turned out, that was the extent of the rain for the day.

Unfortunately we went to Chuy’s for breakfast. It seemed like a little bit fancier looking place than we had been eating. The wait was incredible, the fish tacos were not good, and there was an annoying loud-ass Gringo sitting next to us. Everywhere else we ate was good, but I would definitely warn you to stay away from Chuy’s if you’re in San Felipe.

Charlie wanted to stop by the internet café, located in Thrifty’s, to update his fantasy Nascar team. Mark sent an email and then we checked the local weather forecast. Though it only said cloudy, the report said it was a good day to stay inside and work on the @*&#! server.

We headed out for some 4-Wheeling. The Baja 1000 was the following weekend, so we found the trail and followed it for awhile before deciding to go really off-road to do some exploring. What we found was surroundings not unlike Death Valley. We did a little hiking. I headed up one small peak, and Mark & Charlie followed. We took some photos and enjoyed the views. I took off on a significantly higher peak. I figured they’d either follow or stay behind and take my picture. They did the latter, which was cool, because Mark got some good pics of me bagging the peak.. We had some snacks, a couple cervesas, and relaxed a bit. We were in agreement that if we had more beer, it would have been a good place to camp.

We kicked it up a notch on the way out and were really flying on the Baja race course. We were getting bounced around quite a bit, but man was it fun! When we got off the course, we stopped to check out a rattle. Charlie’s backup battery had come loose, a problem easily remedied. The first mystery was how my playmate had managed to open, yet not lose anything out of it. But the bigger mystery ended up trying to figure out how the Mason jar in my big ice chest had managed to completely unscrew the metal ring from the jar, while managing to keep the lid on and protect the liquor, having never been vacuum sealed.

Back in town, we stopped at a little store and bought some Dos Equis and Tecate. We were surprised with all the Tecate signs in Mexico, that none of the bars or restaurants we went to served Tecate. We also got a couple bundles of firewood. We ate at Tony’s one last time and Mark and Charlie picked up a couple Cuban cigars from ‘Smoke Signals’. According to Murray, the shop owner, that’s the only place you can get real Cubans in San Felipe.

We headed out to Cantu’s Cove to camp for the night. We never would have known it was there had we not been told where it was. The turn off is an unmarked dirt road across from the baseball stadium. Shortly down the road is a sign that says .6km to Cantu Cove, but that’s way off. We headed back, set up camp, and had a nice little campfire on the beach and enjoyed our cervesas for a few hours. It was very relaxing and probably should have spent more time away from town than we did. Though we did make one last late night venture into town, but decided not to stay long.

Mark's Jeep



I thought I smelled something burning...

Is that Death Valley or Mexico?

The Rigs

Changing my Altitude

To give it a little perspective

Cantu's Cove

I love campfires

Mark enjoying his Cuban fireside

And Chuck too...

Charlie's fire safety lesson

Not to be out done

Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4

Home | Semi-True Stories | San Felipe | © 2004 Andrew Nixon